Thursday 14 March 2019

Bolt Action - Somewhere in the Western Desert


The scene was set for another run through of the Bolt Action rules for Roo's benefit. An 8th Army v D.A.K clash (sticking to my preference to fight with historically comparable armies) we were playing this time the "Surrounded" scenario from the main rule book (number 11). 

As the 8th Army player I decided to be the defender which required half of my available units to be set up in the centre of the table, in this case they would deploy in the village and try and hold their positions until relieved.


I  must really iron out the creases in that mat

It was only after deploying the units in the village that I realised that I had already made a number of mistakes. Firstly, in this scenario the attacker gets to try and call in a preparatory bombardment, something that the Brits have an advantage in that they get to roll twice on the table and pick the best result. Secondly I realised that I didn't have a MMG team in my list so that had to be removed and replaced with the light mortar team. Finally, Roo, as the attacker would have to launch his first wave of troops from his table edge. I had misread the scenario special rule which said that after the attackers' first turn any other unit can come in from any table edge (provided an enemy unit had not come in from that table edge that turn). Accordingly I had set up my 6lb anti tank gun facing my table edge thinking Roo would be sneaky and try and come on that edge with his Panzer III, but no Roo had read the rule properly and so the Panzer III was duly deployed on his table edge on the opposite side of the village from where the AT gun was deployed.

Roo called in his preparatory bombardment and scored pins on every unit in the village.


Battle then commenced, with the aforementioned Panzer III coming on to the battlefield and with a hail of machine gun fire killed one member of the light mortar team.


However, the early appearance of the Panzer meant that when I decided to bring on my M3 Lee tank there was only one place for it to go -

However, my point blank range shot, on the rear of the Panzer with both my main gun and the turret gun were spectacularly unsuccessful.

And of course, having brought my tank on it was an easy choose for where Roo would deploy his anti- tank rifle team, with inevitable results: -

Didn't even get a chance to roll to see if the tank was vunerable to fire - a straight up kill by the AT rifle team - boo!!

At least the artillery strike brought in by the British Artillery Observer had some succes scoring several pins and taking out the German Mortar team -


The gallant defenders of the village bravely repelling the forces of tyranny!

Despite the randomness of the dice draw and the scenario rule that let you deploy reserves from any table edge both Roo and I failed to grasp the reality that deploying too close to a corner would lead to trouble as shown by the Lee v AT rifle situation above and then in the other corner of the battlefield, Roo having brought his AT gun on from one table edge near the corner, I brought on my CO and an Infantry section from the perpendicular table edge -

The scene just before the AT gun crew were mown down by the point blank fire of the Desert Rats.

Meanwhile, I had brought my AT rifle team on to the battlefield in the hope of doing the same to Panzer as Roo's AT rifle team had done to the Lee. However, in a very unsporting fashion, Roo decided to face the AT rifle team head on with his Panzer -


Unfortunately the shrubbery was inadequate at providing cover to the AT rifle team who were quickly dispatched by the Panzer.

Back in the centre of the battlefield a fierce firefight was developing between one of the Desert Rats infantry sections in the village and the bulk of the D.A.K Infantry who were taking cover in the shallow gully -




A FUBAR result forced one of the German squads to run back to the table edge -


Not to be outdone, my sniper team which had now entered the battlefield, instead of trying to target the D.A.K AT rifle team, FUBAR'd and ending up taking out the remaining member of the Desert Rats light mortar team in a "friendly fire" incident -


With game time running out the Desert Rats decide to concentrate their fire from the Western side of the village.

After several attempts to bring it on from reserve, the Puma armoured car finally made it's appearance  -



A combination of poor dice rolling by Roo and good saving throws by me, meant the infantry section were not destroyed so that in the next turn they took the battle to the enemy -

4 hits scored on the Puma, a roll for damage and scratch one Puma

However, this shouldn't really have happened as I had forgotten and Roo didn't know that the Puma has the "Recce" special rule and as such could have evaded away from the assaulting infantry. Ah weel, we'll remember the next time.

The Panzer looking for it's sniper team pray. In fact it might as well have let him be as the only thing the sniper team hit all night was his own mortar team!

The Panzer finally breaches the village defences -

But it was not enough to secure a victory.

Scene at the end of the battle.

As both sides had lost 4 units each giving 4 VP's each, under the scenario rules the game was declared a draw (although with the faux pas over the "Recce" rule Roo, technically would only have lost 3 units, but victory was only claimed if you had scored 2 or more VP's than the opponent so it didn't make a big difference in the end.

So another enjoyable game. Roo is cracking on painting up his Finns. I'm debating whether to borrow Kev's Russian forces to go up against them or to go down the slippery slope of getting my own. He may be a wee while getting the Finns painted so I have a bit of time to decide on that one!!




























8 comments:

  1. Sounds a lot of fun! Those brit infantry look fantastic I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan! They are Perry figures (as are the D.A.K). A bit slighter build than Warlord figures but nicely proportioned and good poses

      Delete
  2. I have been diagnosed with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and my doctor has given me Seebri Breezhaler, it's an inhalation powder 44 micrograms. I take it once a day in the morning. It's a great help to breathing, it's a new medicine on test, 10 out of 10 from me! But still yet i was told it has no cure for it. I was fed up to nearly take my life until my son saw a post of a lady who testify that there's a cure for copd and she was diagnosed with this disease for 8 years before she came arrow a website of an Africa clinic. Which provide natural herbal herbs to cure copd and she purchase it through online. My son purchase their copd herbal remedy on my behalf and give it to me to use with the instructions given on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured of this deadly disease within 12 weeks of usage. I advise whosoever reading my testimony should visit www.solutionhealthherbalclinic.com and seek for your solution, You also can email at solutionsherbalclinic@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure of the cause of COPD emphysema in my case. I smoked pack a day for 12 or 13 years, but quit 40 years ago. I have been an outdoor person all my adult life. Coughing started last summer producing thick mucus, greenish tint to clear. I tried prednisone and antibiotics, but no change. X-rays are negative, heart lungs and blood and serum chemistries all are normal. I have lung calcification from childhood bout with histoplasmosis. I am 75 years old and retired.My current doctor directed me to totalcureherbsfoundation.com which I purchase the COPD herbal remedies from them ,they are located in Johannesburg, the herbal treatment has effectively reduce all my symptoms totally, am waiting to complete the 15 weeks usage because they guaranteed me total cure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 59 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of months ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, totalcureherbsfoundation .c om has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm very excited to inform everyone that I'm completely cured from my HSV 1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it's really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 12 days of using the herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of DR ANUGE and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: dranuge@gmail.com or +2348164866838

    ReplyDelete