Monday, 6 August 2012

More Pics from Claymore 2012

Ok, final upload of pics from Claymore 2012. Again in no order of preference.

Gourock Wargames Club - The Battle of Trafalgar






The League of Augsburg - French v Russian Napoleonic








Inverness Roleplaying and Wargaming Association - Battletech




Urban Mammoth - Urban War








The Iron Brigade - Viking Raid





And although Border Reivers brought their Vietnam Game which they had already displayed at the Carronade show here are some more pics of their table as it was definitely one of the best on display










So another good show hosted by South East Scotland Wargames Club. A bright, spacious venue although the long corridor separating the 2 areas of the show is a minor gripe (and the fairly stodgy catering but SESWC are not responsible for that). The Bring and Buy though was pretty poor (or maybe I'm just getting too picky in my old age) but I definitely felt there wasn't much to look at. In times gone by the Claymore Bring and Buy was the place to pick up some bargains (if you could get near the table - such was the crush) but it really was quiet this year. 

As I said in my first post, I wasn't looking to spend much so whilst I had a look at what the various traders had to offer, I restricted myself to purchasing Conquest Games' new boxed set of plastic Norman Infantry from Dave Thomas and the Late Antiquity to Early Medieval army lists for Hail Caesar. I resisted the temptation of picking up the Too Fat Lardies new Dux Britanniarum rule set which Caliver Books had for sale. They also had the copies of the new Dux Bellorum rules from Osprey which is not actually due for release until later this month. However, I had already pre-ordered this on Amazon so sorry Dave, you didn't get my pennies this time.

Well done to all the clubs who put on tables. It's always a lot of effort to put on a display table for a show and   all of the tables looked busy at various point so the day with onlookers or participants for those clubs that were running participation games. One thing I would say though is that some clubs should make more of an effort to let people know who they are! With quite a few of the tables I had no idea who was putting on the display or what the table was about. 

And while no one objected to me taking pics of their table and figures it would have been a bit more interesting if some of the clubs took a bit of time to engage with the viewing public and explained what was happening!


For some more pics and reports on the show head over to the Wappinshaw Blog and the ALBAtwo Warblog

Next show in Scotland will be SKELP hosted by Angus Wargames Club on 20 October 2012 at the Reid Hall in Forfar. Now this happens to be the same day as Livingstone Battleground hold their Skirmish 2012 Wargames Participation Event. Now with so few shows taking place in Scotland I'm a bit bewildered as to how we've ended up with 2 Wargames Shows taking place on the same day so it will be interesting to see how both clubs get on with their attendances that day. I should be going to SKELP as it is just up the road from me so I'll maybe see you there.
































13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the positive feedback on the show and all the photos. The weather was unexpectedly good and took the college by surprise. It bore no relation to the forecast on the BBC website that morning.
    Hope to see you in sunny Edinburgh next year.

    Though I am a resident of Livingston I am committed to go to SKELP to put on a display so will miss the Livingston Skirmish 2012 show.

    Bill gilchrist
    SESWC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. Please pass on my thanks to all at SESWC for putting on another great show. And yes let's hope the sun is shining on Edinburgh next year too!

      Delete
  2. I like the pics, nice one and good feedback on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite are the ships in the first batch of photo's. I've always admired the skill and patience it takes to build one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very nicely done Anne. A naval wargame may not look very spectacular due to the lack of terrain but the ships were great and a nice touch of having name tags for each vessel.

      Delete
  4. Another round of great photo's KP.

    Might try to get to Skelp this year, it's been ages since I managed to get to the show, matbe see you there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers H! To be honest this will be the first year for some time that I will manage along to SKELP as I'm usually on holiday but the show is slightly later this year.

      Delete
  5. Some great pics, one day we might make it up to Claymore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great idea Ray! Start getting the Rejects organised!

      Delete
  6. Thnx for posting the pics KP, I was there with my brother, nephew and buddy. I must have to many toys now as I only spent £5 on bases and that was it?

    The games looked good and I managed to chat with a few freinds.

    The weather really took us by surprise alright!!! The room under the sun roof was a killer, we only spent 5mins there at a time because of the heat before heading off to recover. I felt for Big Jon B (and the guys travelling in the car with him!!!) as all the stuff he wanted was in there.

    Maybe bump into you there next year.
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. £5? You have great self control Paul!!

      Delete