Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Don't Tell The Wife You've Lost Your Painting Mojo!!

TamsinP of the Wargaming Girl Blog posted a wee while back about losing her painting mojo. Thankfully she has got it back as testified by the amount of 15mm Cavalry she has been working on over recent weeks but I know how she felt and the last 6 weeks or so has been a real struggle for me to get anything painted and finished. My "Figures  Painted in 2012" tally hardly moved at all during March and although there was so much I wanted to get on with when it came down to it I just couldn't summon up the enthusiasm to pick up the paint brush.

Then, just before the Easter Holidays, I was moaning to Mrs K that I really needed to get some painting done. I was therefore a wee bitty surprised (and a tad suspicious) when she replied that she agreed that I really needed to get the paint brush out. However, as it turned it she wasn't meaning my fine detail brush. Oh no, her idea of sorting out of my painting mojo was painting these -


The woodwork of the window frames was long overdue a new coat of wood stain according to Mrs K. Unfortunately Kingsleypark Manor has a lot of window frames, if you count the one above as 3 frames, there are 30 on the ground floor alone, thankfully only 8 on the first floor, plus 2 sets of patio doors and a front and back door. And the little white clips you will note on the frames are for the detachable wooden mullions that some smart arsed planning officer at Angus Council insisted be put on the windows so that the building would be "in keeping with the surrounding properties". Other than the twin of Kingsleypark Manor next door which was built at the same time I have yet to find the other surrounding properties that have a similar window feature, but anyway that's 38 of those bloody things to be painted as well.

As the cost of paying for this to be done by a professional painter would have left us living on bread and water for 3 months, it was left to me to get on with it and armed with 3 tins of Ronseal "Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin" wood stain, I set to the task. Unfortunately for the Ronseal to do exactly what it says on the tin, it requires 3 coats of the blasted stuff to be applied. And as the weather last week was rain interspersed with more rain, usually I would find I would get halfway round a frame and then have to run for cover as the heavens opened. At least I have been able to work on the mullions inside, in my room, but as a result of having all that crap in my games room means it hasn't been possible to get any gaming done there either. But so far half of the windows on the ground floor have had 2 coats of stain and two thirds of the mullions have had 1 coat, but I haven't got anywhere near to starting the upstairs windows.

I am, at least, able to access my painting table and perversely the woodwork painting has had the desired result of getting some proper painting done. So, as blogged earlier this week here, I have managed to get the first of my Shermans from The Plastic Soldier Company Limited painted and as I had pre-ordered my copy of "Northern Fury" the first supplement for the Saga Rules by Gripping Beast it also came with a special edition Scots Warlord figure. Although I have no other figures with which to make a Scots Warband, I felt duty bound to paint him up and so here he is:-


Hector McHoosie, feared Warlord of Clan McPuddin


My first impression of him was that I thought his axe was too small. Then I realised that I am so used to GW style oversized weaponry that actually his axe was a more realistic size. I certainly wouldn't want to be hit over the head with it in any event.


Standing outside another plundered Northumbrian Abbey (actually it's one of GW's ruins from the Lord of The Rings range but artistic licence is being applied here okay?)

 No booty left inside!

It was Mike from the Ministories Blog which gave me the idea of putting the damage on the shield although Mike has done it far more effectively than I have


I don't actually see myself building a Scots Warband for Saga, my preference just now is for a Norman Warband and also to add to my collection of Vikings, but I quite enjoyed painting up Hector. I am supposed to be playing Saga with my mate Alan tomorrow night and he has been busily painting up a Scots Warband so I'll see what his figs look like, before making a final decision one way or the other.

That's assuming, I can get those bloody windows finished first.......

21 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone has more windows than I do. I have 25 and think that's bad when it's time to do the Spring cleaning on them. Judging by this figure, you've got your mojo back. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. It is a pretty soul destroying task so by getting some proper painting done it does help get over the monotony of painting all that Brown!

      Delete
  2. Good grief man, maybe its time to get her into painting as well.

    Tag team the sills mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Phil hit the name on the head.

      Delete
  3. In fairness Paul she did take a brush to the sills the last time they saw some paint but I think more paint ended up on the harling than on the frames themselves so never again.

    As the old saying goes if you want something done properly do it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First rule of DIY : make a mess of it and she'll never ask you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Phil! Unfortunately the cost of employing a tradesman would have severely curtailed any expenditure on other things such as Wargames toys....

      Delete
  5. Nice painting skills Sir, the windows look lovely, never heard of them funny little bits on them before??? Mr McHoosie looks very nice too, I like the way you painted his face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Ray. The white clips are used to attach a decorative frame to the existing frame. The planners didn't bother telling the builders this before they ordered the windows so they arrived with just an open glass frame. "Oh no" says the arsehole planning officer "the windows should have cross frames so that they look the other windows in the area" (we are still looking for those ones btw). So rather than send the windows back and delay completion by another 3 months waiting for a new set of windows the builders got these detachable frames to clip in to the main frame. Needless to say that the planning officer is not on my Christmas card list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How could you walk into this painting windows lark, I'm surprised at you but good work on Hector!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I'm hoping this is earning me mega brownie points. The first big Scottish show is in Falkirk on 5 May so I'm hoping to have some spending money!

      Delete
  8. Oh you poor man! That said you've done a great job on the windows; a DIY legend! More importantly is the return of the lost mojo and in some style too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael although my legendary DIY status is usually for all the wrong reasons!

      Delete
  9. Great highlighting on the window frames and the shading is done to perfection..Warlord looks very good and the damaged shield worked out very well. I cheated on a couple with decals. Have fun playing SAGA tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers Mike although if Mrs K suggests a dry brush to the frames she is likely to get the paint tipped over her head!

    Good game of Saga tonight. All will be revealed in a forthcoming blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just moved ...and the one thing this new place has is custom windows throughout...never need painting....lucky me...and your warlord looks fantastic...so does the shield

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Capt.
      Unfortunately because our house is in what is known in the UK as a "Conservation Area" the windows have to use wooden finishes and given the amount of rain that we usually get here combined with the sea area living on the coast means the woodwork will need regular maintenance :-(

      Delete
  12. 38 frames times 2-3 coats? Ugh! The upside is that your living space must be very bright and lovely when the sun shines. Good luck and take plenty of liquid refreshments while working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liquid refreshment was a pre-condition of taking on the task!

      Delete
  13. Wife + brushes = trouble! In my case it was the living room and the dining room. And I'm just half way. One side of the rooms is wood and the other side is wallpaper. The wood is done, but the wallpaper has to be removed and new painteble wallpaper has to be added. It's on the "to do" list for May. :-D

    The figure is excellent painted and I like his name :-D

    PS1: the windows to.
    PS2: Do you know that there are PVC windows with a woodgrain on it?

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter! Good luck with painting the Living and dining rooms!

      I just wish the builder had used PVC windows with the wood grain effect, life would be so much easier as a result!!

      Delete